Take a closer look at these babies :)
Source : Table for 2 or more... (this is 1/2 the portion which gave me roughly around 16 buns...can't remember exactly)
- 250gm pau flour (cake flour)
- 125gm steamed orange sweet potato
- 50gm sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp double action baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 20gm shortening, melted
- 6gm yeast
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 75ml water
- Proof yeast with 1/4 tsp sugar and water until it froths.
- Mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt together.
- Knead in steamed sweet potatoes.
- Flour mixture will look crumbly.
- Pour in frothy yeast mixture and combine to form a dough. Knead until dough no longer sticky and turns smooth.
- Add more flour if it's too sticky or more water(by the teaspoon) if it's way too dry, (if unable to gather all the flour into a dough).
- When dough is smooth, knead in melted shortening, until dough no longer feels oily.
- Leave to proof until double, about an hour.
- Punch down and knead for another minute. Divide dough into 35gm pieces, and shape as u like. For these helmets, roll the dough flat in a triangular shape, roll them up and pinch two ends together tightly to make sure they don't open up. Hop over to Wendy's for a pictorial guide on how to shape. Other easier methods would be making them into round balls or just rolling them up without trying to pull it into a triangular shape.
- Leave to proof until shaped bun doubles.
- Steam on high heat for 12-15 minutes.