Soft milky buns with a rich coconut jam infused with pandan fragrance...Mmmm!
Source: Bread Magic by Alan Ooi for bread dough
- 300g high protein flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp milk powder
- 50g sugar
- 125ml water
- 1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 medium size egg (1 used 2/3 of a large egg and left 1/3 for glazing)
- 40g butter
- Mix 1 tablespoon fresh milk with 1/3 egg from Part B (I like using this as the glaze, it's not too glossy when egg is used solely or too matte and browns easily when only milk is used)
- Store bought kaya
- 1 slice of cheddar cheese, cut into small rectangular pieces
- Combine ingredient A in a mixer and mix well. Add in ingredient B and beat till a dough is formed. Add in ingredient C and beat till dough is smooth and elastic to touch.
- Leave dough in a big bowl, covered with a damp cloth.
- Let it rise in a warm place until double the size.
- Divide dough into 50g portions (managed to get 11 pieces).
- Flatten dough then wrap with some filling starting with 1 tablespoon of kaya followed by a piece of cheese. It's easier to wrap if it's not too full.
- Arrange on greased tray if not using paper liners.
- Cover and rest buns until double the size again.
- Wrap a pandan leave around the bun (loosely)
- Glaze with Part D.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 15-17 minutes until golden brown.
Note: I combine all the ingredients and let my breadmaker handle steps 1-3.