Happy Sunday everyone! Hope you are having a great time with your loved ones.
I made this dish 2 Sundays ago. I am at a loss as to what to name this dish. Listing down all the ingredients will make it long and boring. Since it's a big bowl of goodness, Super Bowl came to mind :) Or maybe Super Soup Bowl to be technically correct. After all that's what it is literally, not American football :)
This dish was inspired by Sonia's claypot luffa gourd, black fungus and fish maw dish that she shared not long ago. I like this kind of dish with lots of ingredients braised in supreme stock. Something that one could eat on its own or at the most some rice to go with it for die-hard rice fans (which i have in my house).
Sonia made hers using the traditional Cantonese way of cooking. She used dried sole fish to make the stock which is a widely used seasoning in Cantonese style cooking. I don't have any of those so i made do with anchovies instead. To make up for the flavors, i threw in fish, prawns and some meatballs. I also used a chayote instead of luffa.
It turned out delicious! Lots of tasty ingredients and soup to go with it too, a typical chinese home style meal that was really comforting.
Inspiration: Nasi Lemak Lover
- 1 medium size chayote, peel and cut into wedges
- 40g fish maw, soaked in water for 30mins
- 1 medium size carrot, peel and cut into thick slices
- 10g dried black fungus, soaked in water till soften, tear into small pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 slice white flesh fish
- 1 cup meatballs
- 6 medium size prawns, deveined
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup dried anchovies
- 1000ml water
- Rinse and wash anchovies in some water.
- Heat one tablespoon of cooking oil in a stock pot then fry anchovies until fragrant.
- Add water then allow it to come to a boil and simmer for around 15 minutes until soup becomes whitish.
- Strain broth, discard anchovies and set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon of cooking oil in a claypot, sauté garlic until fragrant. Add in carrot, black fungus and chayote.
- Add in stock and let it come to a boil.
- Add in fish maw, continue to cook for 5-10mins till fish maw soften.
- Add in prawns for 2-3 minutes then add in meatballs followed by fish slices the last.
- Turn off heat once fish is cooked.
- Remove from heat, serve hot.