The heat is on! Besides it being unbearably hot these days, if you are a fellow Malaysian you will know what i mean. Finally, the parliament has been dissolved yesterday after months and months of anticipation. The election mood is on! So, this is the time fellow Malaysians, let's all go out there and make wise choices! Let's do this for all of us, this is our chance to right the wrongs!
In such heat, how about a cool, refreshing dessert?
This is a twist of the red dragon fruit jelly recipe that I used for making mooncake jelly. I doubled the recipe for the fillings, added a squeeze of lemon juice and some lychees to fit them in a 8 inch square pan.
Source :Adapted from Mooncake Selections by Khoo See Yew
- 50 gm. caster sugar
- 3 tsp agar-agar powder
- 250 ml water
- 250 ml fresh milk
- Boil sugar, agar-agar powder and water in a pot until agar agar and sugar dissolves.
- Lower flame and mix in milk.
- Pour in prepared pan.
- Wait for jelly to be half set (i.e. soft but with a film developed on surface). Use a fork to make light scratches on surface. This is to make sure the layers will stick to one another.
- 100 gm. sugar
- 4 tsp. agar-agar powder
- 600 ml water
- 150 gm red dragon fruit (just use a fork to mash it)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 pieces pandan leaves
- Half a can of lychees
- Boil sugar, agar-agar powder and water with pandan leaves in a pot until agar-agar and sugar dissolves.
- Lower flame and mix in blended dragon fruit and lemon juice. Let it simmer for awhile.
- Pour into pan with milk layer after milk layer is half set following instructions for milk layer.
- Top with lychees after red dragon fruit layer slightly set or else it will sink to the bottom.